BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Small Victory for Dad

I have figured out since I have been married going on six (almost seven) years there are few battles that I can win. Also living in a female dominated house, I also have to stand my ground on certain guy things. This week I have two things to celebrate at my house due to my six year old daughter. The best thing about this is that one of the celebrations also validates that she is also a daddy’s girl as well.

Since I have been working in my chosen profession for going on nine years this fall, I have a small collection of sports memorabilia and this also includes a collection of various bobbleheads. The main satisfaction I get out of this is due mostly to it driving my wife crazy when I bring new stuff home. This is me standing my ground on my guy stuff. Well we had a small scheduling conflict for the weekend; my daughter got an invitation to a little boy’s birthday party. Well the two of us also had plans to go to the Rangers game for the Josh Hamilton bobblehead giveaway, in hopes to get our hands on the popular Rangers star’s bobble likeness. So I mentioned to Sloan that the game and the birthday are at the same time and we have to choose which one we are going to, this is of course while Kristen is getting her ready for a bath. At that exact moment (and in front of Kristen) she blurts out with authority that she will not go to the boy’s party, but she wants to go and get her a bobblehead at the game. This of course drives Kristen crazy since now our daughter is following in her dad’s footsteps with the collection of sports memorabilia, which in turn validates that she is in fact a daddy’s girl.

For those keeping score at home Kevin: 1 Female household: 0

Now onto my second victory of the week, and the music portion of the blog. My daughter and I are sitting at home goofing off around the house. I usually try to play different music around her than her usual mix of Hannah Montana and Taylor Swift. At one time in her early development of music I did have her listening to such bands as Phish, The Teddybears, Johnny Cash, the Grateful Dead, Blind Melon, and many others. At that point, I am sitting back thinking that I am winning the battle. That is until she discovered Hannah Montana, and her world has now been focused on how much Hannah Montana stuff she can fit into it. I think that the creators of Hannah Montana have everything they can think of with her likeness printed on it, it would not surprise Kristen or myself if they even have toilet paper.

The two of us were hanging out watching some TV, when I flipped through a station that was playing some latest popular country song. I gave out my usual laugh due to the fact that most country singers have forgot they sing country music and should not dress like they are some type of cool rock god, and yes I am talking to singers like Keith Urban and others. I have to say country music is not cool and/or edgy, although it’s ok to dress in style, but please quit trying to be the country rocker, to me that is just an oxy moron. ( I am now off my soap box for now about country music, but don’t worry I will get back to this subject.)

So due to my laughter my daughter also begins to laugh with me, and then she looks up to me proudly and tells me “we don’t like that western music!” At that moment in time I once again felt I am actually having an impact on the way she is being molded. I didn’t have the heart to break it to her that Taylor Swift is a part of the “western music”, but I can also say she is more pop than “western”, so I won’t break that to her until she is ready. At that moment I also had the satisfaction knowing that I am rubbing off on her. The other thing that has hit me is, I am in a way molding my biggest nightmare, a sport loving, and a music loving guy’s girl.(she also likes video games and comic book movies) I am a little biased, but I feel my little girl is a cutie as well, so I think I am setting myself up for the double whammy when it comes time for her to date, (which to her is when she is 21) the very cute guy’s girl. Trust me, I don’t own a gun, but when she turns 15, I will start looking for one.

For those keeping score at home: Kevin 2, Female household 0, and future boy’s are on my radar.

Music of the week:

Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

This band is really catching my ear lately. The song “Lisztomania” is really catchy and I like them. I am buying the album tonight after the last baseball game of the season, so I will let you know what I think next week.

Girl Talk- Feed the Animals

Girl Talk is actually one guy named Gregg Gillis, and he mashes up popular songs and makes them fit perfect together. The reason I stumbled across GT is the fact that he is going to be one of the many bands I will see the day I go to the ACL festival. The best part about GT is that you can go to his site here, and download the new album for what ever price you feel like buying it for (yes I know what you are thinking, and yes you can). Trust me I listen to this every time I work out or need something to pep me up. Get the album, I haven’t been wrong yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetness. I'll have to check out those bands or band and one guy. And for molding Sloan, I think it is all a man can ask for when it comes to music and sports with his kids. So when is there going to be a lil Kevin? haha

Huffine Family said...

remember with the bobble heads, one in, one out...and I get to choose! lol. you're an excellent dad!

KWH said...

Update to the Phoenix album, first listen, I really like it. Who knew the french could rock out, although they do feel Bob Dylan is a god, so they do have that going for them, and better than Jerry Lewis. Also to the comment above, my bobbleheads, and I do with them what I want!

 
Site Meter