BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Graduation Day, movie awards, and randomness

Well, today is the day that I have to say my little girl is growing up. Tomorrow I will have to comfort her mother while we sit at the first of her many graduations through her life. I am a very proud Dad knowing that she has been a very good kid all year long at school and has now bee deemed fit to go to first grade. At least she didn’t follow in my footsteps and get sent to the principal’s office or sat out in the hall like I did my first year of school. Of course that was because of my friends influence, I keep telling Kristen that I was an angel. Sloan has been asking me lately about when I graduated. I tell her about my college graduation, and my high school graduation, I can’t remember my kindergarten graduation or much of it anyway.

The memory that has stuck out the most for me is my high school graduation, for a few reasons. 1.) We picked (or our teacher’s influenced us to pick) the most horrible song of the year, “End of the Road” by Boys II Men to be our class song. Why did we not be smart enough to pick “Smells Like Teen Spirit”? I blame myself for the fact that I was at times musically blind at that point in my life. Hell if it was up to some of my friends we would have picked “Back to the Hotel” by N 2 Deep. Shame on us the class of 1993 for bad music decisions. 2.) I also knew at that point in time that I would no longer have to live for any lengthy extended period of time in my hometown any more. (You can tell this by my Sh*$ eating grin I had on my face as I received my diploma.) I don’t regret my time at AHS, I do miss a lot of my friends, but it was time for me to move on to the big city. I deemed myself fit to experience life on my own, and I have enjoyed every minute of it so far.

I just hope that as Sloan grows up that she can have the same fun (most of the fun) that I did in high school. I hope she has a lot of fun in college, but not too much fun like I did. I hope she continues to love school as much as she does now. I hope everything stays new and interesting to her as it does now. I am a very proud Dad this week, but my little girl is getting big, but hopefully not too big for Mom and I.

The MTV Movie Awards- I can’t believe I am even writing about this, but I had to watch it the other night. Due to the fact that the Kings of Leon were going to be on the show, and if you haven’t listened to them by now, well shame on you. There were two things that stuck out to me while watching it and trying not to throw up. 1) The movie “Twilight” took home all the awards and the two main actors were so horrible trying to be “cool” it was pathetic. Not to mention the douchebaggyness (yes I just made that up) of Robert Patterson. 2) And the fact that MTV had to set up the whole Bruno/Eminem thing to have something sensational. (Yes kids, it was all made up) I am going to sound old here but, MTV just isn’t cool anymore. When I was younger it was cutting edge with music videos (yes they actually played music at one time) and shows like Bevis and Butthead, Jackass, and the fact they didn't have to make up something to be sensational. MTV you now suck as a channel. The only saving highlight of the show was Kings of Leon, and they even looked like they didn't want to be there.


This week’s music:

Keane- Perfect Symmetry
This is the English band’s third album, I have to admit I haven’t been a huge fan of theirs. Under the Iron Sea was a good album, and at the time I didn’t get much into them after the first listen. Over the past month or so I have kept hearing their single “Spiralling” being played on Alt Nation on XM and have grown to like it. Much to my surprised knowledge, Kristen had actually got their new album. So I put it on the ol’ iPod and gave it a listen. I have to say this album is really, really good.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs- It’s Blitz!
I am a big fan of YYY, and if I wasn’t married, Karen-O would be in the top five women I would want to date. From the first song of the album to the last this album is great. Of course, I am a fan, but the sound they have on this album is so much different from the last. I would absolutely recommend to anyone they should get this album.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember if I comment on the last one. I am drunk at the moment after watching the PAC-10 dominate softball once again. I hate the SEC in every single thing they do. But I love this blog as I wait to have my own children. MTV isn't the same anymore as I miss MTV Jams and Yo MTV Raps. Kings of Leon, once again great. But I do have to say, I don't like the Yeah Yeah Yeah's. Otherwise. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Sloan going into 1st grade... I feel OLD! And since when is there a graduation from K-garden?

Dee, you seem cool and since your a friend of Twiggy's I'm gonna left the "watching softball" comment slide...I'll chaulk it up to you being drunk.

Unknown said...

Hey Kev' you should have been part of the skate-crew. We were listening to what everybody was about to listen too...and this wasn't just the alt-rock, punk-rock stuff, but good hip-hop too!
If I remember right you listened to some cool music back then. We discussed a lot about music U2, REM and if I remember right? Redman and The Tribe Called Quest?

 
Site Meter