BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The song remains the same

I have to begin this week’s blog with an apology, I am writing this as best as I can due to the fact that my trusty (or once trusty) laptop is sick this week and getting looked at by the IT folks at work. This however is not an apology for my writing skills (or lack there of at times). With that said, let’s get on with this week’s blog.

I am starting to find a pattern with my blogs and seeing that a lot of them are mostly about my family or my past. Not to mention a large part of them so far is about my adventures with my daughter and the adventure that is our lives together. As some of you know (the two outsiders that read my blog don’t know) my wife is in nursing school right now, so she is unbelievably busy and spends most of her time studying and working. So therefore much of my time is spent at the level of a five year old (which I hate to admit is probably my level a lot of the time). Of course this is not a bad thing because you get to play and act silly and no one looks at you weird, or so I think.

A large part of spending time with Sloan is that she is very interested in random stuff. Since Father’s Day was last weekend, she was wondering about the present that she and Kristen got me (Via me getting the permission to buy a ticket to see Pearl Jam at the ACL Festival). For quite some time she has been interested in seeing a live show with me. So I have been trying to figure out a kid friendly show to take her to, that isn’t the Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, or High School Musical. This is a work in progress and when I do find something I will let you know.

Her first question about the greatest rock band in the world (Pearl Jam for those that didn’t know) was what kind of music do they play. Then she asked if she could see them. Seeing I am a fan of the aforementioned band, I do have a concert DVD of them. This will be one of our home activities this week is to watch some of the concert to see what she thinks. This is coming on the heels of us watching some footage of Bonaroo this past weekend and the education of the Beastie Boys on her young mind. My favorite part of the education is that she started using her imaginary turntables to scratch while Mix Master Mike did the same on the TV. (Yes that made me a proud father at that moment)

Sloan being like this makes me remember being the same way with my sister when we were younger. My sister is seven years older than me, so at certain times in our upbringing she got to educate me on music. Some of the education I liked, some I didn’t like and laugh at her to this day about it. (That would be her whole 80’s music days) The first time she showed me a concert on the VCR (yes I am that old) it was Led Zeppelin’s “The Song Remains the Same”, while babysitting me one night. That was a turning point in my music life, I was then hooked. Of course I still made the horrible music choices that youth make, such as rushing out to buy Another Bad Creation’s album, not to mention BBD (Poison still has a soft place in my heart), and of course my short odd love affair with Poison. Once I was in high school she gave me two more musical gifts my senior year, she gave me Alice in Chains “Dirt” and Pearl Jam “Ten” for my birthday. So you can trace my love for Pearl Jam to my sister trying to get me to listen to something other than hip-hop in high school, and to that I have to say Thank you. (I still listen to hip-hop that didn’t change) I hope I can some how pass the gift of music on to Sloan or anyone else for that matter.

This week’s music:

Thanks to some friends that opened my eyes to something new, I now have a crap load of music to listen too, and for your benefit I get to let you know about all the music. Here are three albums for this week.

The Gaslight Anthem- The ’59 Sound
I don’t know why it has taken me so long to listen to these guys. I have had people constantly tell me to check them out, and I finally did. I have to say I am not disappointed, this whole album is awesome. Just a great sound, and they rock, check out the song Miles Davis and the Cool.

Metric- Fantasies
Ok, I have for weeks talked about getting their new album, and well as you can tell I have. Let me say, I do have a small love affair with Karen-O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Well Emily Haines has now moved to the top of the list. This album does not disappoint, it is a great refreshing sound. Almost one I have been looking for, for a while. One of my favorites right now, you should check out the song Help I’m Alive or Sick Muse.

Nada Surf- Lucky
This album was recommended by someone to me and I have had the chance to listen to them. This is a nice laid back album, something I can put on at work and have a nice mellow mood for the day. I really like this album from the first song to the last. It makes me feel like I should be on the beach relaxing. Check out the song Whose Authority and Weightless.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

another bad creation...haha. My brother was born in 77 so I got to listen to pretty much the same rap you got into. haha. I'll have to check out those bands. Good job again meat!

 
Site Meter