BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Another one bites the dust/And the count down begins……….

Last week I read some more horrible news, another great record store that helped me through ups and downs during college has closed its doors. After 28 years of being open Randy’s M&M in Edmond is closing down. One of my first few blogs I wrote was about spending a day at the record store, it is one of my favorite things to do (although Kristen and Sloan hate it), but it reminds me of the hours I would spend after work or after class in college going through stacks of music looking for something I didn’t have or something that was recommended by friends.

There was a Randy’s right down the street from my apartment and where I worked in college (for the Interurban crew that reads this) and I would either stop by on Tuesday’s on my way back from work or school to check out what was there. I had a hook up there so I would get a discount (hopefully this didn’t cause the closing of the place in the long run). Now Kristen can start tracing back the steps that allowed me to amass the collection I have that we have now lugged around five states and counting now. It just sucks that some of the places I can remember going to are now starting to close its doors.

Of course I realize that due to our convenient digital age we can now not interact with anyone at stores and buy everything over the internet. I am not going to lie; I do this with our Netflix account (mostly due to me hating Blockbuster) and now with iTunes. Yes, I will agree that going to iTunes and typing in a band and getting everything they have put out with one click of the mouse is awesome, but it is also fun to get out and go to the store and find something rare (yes iTunes does not have everything). Plus it’s when you get around the same people at the store and them recommending something else to you. I guess it’s just the nostalgia busting out in me now, figuring out what my parents did and knowing things are changing and nothing can stay the same. Randy’s thanks for hooking me up back in the day, (also thanks for the discount) you kept me in music while in school.

And the count down begins……….

Well the summer is starting to come to an end for everyone. Kids are getting anxious that school is about to start and for me the chaos of athletic season is about to start back up. Also, for Kristen and me daycare is going to get back to a reasonable price (I now wish I would have gone into that business, I may have been able to retire by now!).

That also means one more thing to me, closer to the ACL Festival. I got some calls and texts yesterday about the schedule coming out, and the unfortunate news of MCA (let’s hope he gets well soon, so the Beasties can get to making more music). So I am now in planning mode for the day I am going, which I feel might be one of the best days of the festival. I do wish I could catch KOL, Bon Iver, Lily Allen (yes, she is on my list), The Knux, Phoenix, Dr. Dog, Flogging Molly, Levon Helm, Mos Def, and the Decembrists; but I get to catch two of my all time favorite bands on Sunday Pearl Jam and Ben Harper.

Yes, I am a dork (most that know me know this), and yes I have printed off my schedule for the day and put checks by bands I am going to check out and x’ed through the bands I will not make it to (mostly country). I am now going to have to get a play list going with all the bands that are going to be there so I can brush up on the old and the new. I am very excited, I don’t think I have gone to an event this large since Horde Festival, or maybe the Rock Fests that the Katt in OKC put on during the summer (did get to finally see Stone Temple Pilots there). So excuse me while I am getting a little gitty thinking about seeing Eddie Vedder in person once again. For those that are jealous and can’t go, don’t worry I will take a lot of pics. I am also pumped for the slight chance one of my boys from college might be going with. What sucks is I still have two months to go, how can I contain this excitement? (Plus Dan Auerbach and the Dead Weather are going to be there)

New Music for this week:

Well, I am starting to get a little back logged with music that I have. So I think I might play a little catch up this week and unload a ton of bands for the one or two readers that care. So Daniel, Darrin, Travis and Carrie here you go………

Iron and Wine- Around the Well
This I have been hearing and reading about for months and I (as I normally do) dragged my feet because of all the critical acclaim it got. (Yes I am that snobby music guy) I did love Shepherd’s Dog, so I broke down and gave this one a listen. It is mostly stuff they have recorded and haven’t released or didn’t make albums. I have to say the acclaim was correct; this is another really good album by them. I usually give you a few songs to listen to, but this whole album is great.

The John Butler Trio
A few weeks ago a blog I read the person mentioned The John Butler Trio. I have his newest album Grand National and I really like it. He suggested his album Sunrise Over Sea to listen to as well. So I have given it the good ol’ listen to and it’s really good. So I dug deeper and started listening to some of his older stuff. I am not disappointed so far, for those that haven’t listened to this Australian trio yet check them out. Listen to Daniella, Use to get high, and Company Sin.

I am going to give you two that I didn’t like, don’t want to offend anyone, but I didn’t like these and won’t write much. The new Peter, Bjorn and John album, not big on it like everyone else is, it’s alright. The Shiny Toy Guns new album got me with Ghost Town and I thought this was going to be good, after that it lost me.

The Raconteurs- Consolers of the Lonely
Ok, I am a big Jack White fan, I got the new Dead Weather album and it is awesome. I know this album is old, but one of my favorites. If you don’t have it shame on you, go get it.

Shwayze-Shwayze
Another old album, but this album is very catchy. Totally reminds me of something that I would listen to on the beaches in California. I really like this album, can’t go wrong with the songs Corona and Lime and Buzzin’. Yes it’s old but perfect for the summer.

Sonic Youth-The Eternal
Ok, I will admit it, I haven’t been a huge fan of Sonic Youth. It’s not that I don’t like them, but I just never got into them. I have always loved the song Titanium Expose, and a few others. I guess it’s one of those, “I have plenty of bands I follow and I don’t need another one,” (yes horrible excuse) I did get their new album due to them being at ACL, first few listens and I like it, I think I will need more to really like them. Check out Thunder Clap (for Bobby Pyn).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

record stores are going in the tubes. I remember down south with the Warehouse and the old record store owned by a mexican called Pajaros. haha. I'd be checkin out the hip-hop or rock as the homies would come in looking for the new Eastside or Southside gansgter rapper cd. Mr. Shadow and all that crappy music. Is there a reason why you can't go to both days?

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Twiggy. It's too bad the record shops are now becoming a thing of the past. Although I love the convenience of digital music I HATE note being able to read the liner notes that accompany the albums.

Had I know you didn’t know about John Butler I would have recommend them some time ago. He’s AMAZING! Check out his solo stuff, the song Busted is one of my favs. If you like the Aussie sound you might want to look into Xavier Rudd.

 
Site Meter