BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Vacation, Family, Friends, and traveling the world

So this past week we went on vacation, actually the first vacation I have ever taken as an adult that wasn’t just an extended three day weekend. Yes, I do understand that mostly everyone has taken some sort of vacation once becoming an adult with a job that isn’t an hourly wage. Well, for those that are trying to catch up with what I have been doing (or those that don’t pay attention) my previous job consisted of working all summer and having most of the fall and some of the winter as the slow period. Long story short, long hours, little pay, and little pay hindered our vacation excursions.

This past week we actually got to go on a vacation (yes, a vacation in Oklahoma). There were a few perks for the vacation; 1) Kristen got to go with us for a change (she is in nursing school and it’s hard for her to leave at times), 2) My Mom’s cooking (According to Sloan, most of my Mom’s cooking has the title of “world famous” attached to it.), and 3) Seeing family and friends. We stayed with my parents to see one of my Uncles that I haven’t seen since high school and to have an impromptu family reunion of sorts the day before we left. I got to see family that I haven’t seen since high school. It was great to catch up with every one.

So we did the usual touristy (if that’s a word) things in Oklahoma. Being from there I have never got to be a tourist in my home state. One of the days while we were there I made plans to see some old friends in Norman to catch up, rehash old memories and have some drinks. Plus this was the first time I got to show off Kristen to everyone. Once we all got together I realized that me being away from all of my friends I felt I lost a little of who I am and was along the way. I have made a ton of friends since I have been moving around for my profession, but you never realize that there are friends you just can’t replace.

With me moving around, a lot of them I have lost touch with along the way, but being closer to home I have now got the chance to get in touch with them. I feel we caught each other at a crossroads at this point. Two of them are moving off to start their life in San Francisco, one is planning on moving to California, and another one is about to start an epic adventure as world traveler. We are all envious of the later, he has decided to go off the grid for a while and to me recharge and see the world. For me I am trying to figure out myself as a family man and as an individual, I guess this is probably a common struggle for everyone.

After hanging out the other night, I realized that I dearly miss my friends, most from this area and some along the way as we have traveled. I sometimes feel there are pieces of me that I have lost along the way, and I don’t want to turn into someone I am not. I did figure out this week that my friends and family are the folks that put that piece back in me and remind me that I am still me, and they don’t let me forget who I am.

This week’s music:
As I was hanging out with my friends, they let me know that I actually had some influence on them (good and bad) and they let me know that music I got them interested in was part of the influence. So Matt and Dave check out this music and let me know what you think.

Miike Snow- Miike Snow
This is a Swedish band that just put out their debut album this summer. The song Animal caught my ear about three months ago and I decided to check them out. I really like them; it has to grow on you. Some people compare them to Animal Collective, but I have to say they are more on the pop side of Animal Collective. Check out the song Animal and Song for No One.

The Dead Weather- Horehound
Another band for Jack White and a new sound as well. A lot of people are getting tired of Jack White and his many bands, but I say go F yourself. I feel the White Stripes were getting a little stale, and then he came out with the Raconteurs. Now he started the Dead Weather and, man this album rocks. Check out the songs Hang you from the Heavens and Treat Me Like Your Mother.

Coconut Records- Davy and Nighttiming
Jason Schwartzman, he can act and has a great taste in music. He started the band Phantom Planet and now formed the band Coconut Records. Sloan and I got hooked on the song Microphone about five months ago and we love it. So I decided to give them a chance and got both of their albums. This band is slowly climbing he charts as one of my favorite bands. Check out Microphone and Nighttiming.

Tokyo Police Club- Elephant Shell
I stumbled upon these guys a few years ago with A Lesson In Crime, and when they released Elephant Shell I wanted to check it out. I really like their sound, they can compare to Vampire Weekend with a little Strokes mixed in. Check out the songs Your English is Good and Tessellate.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

It is good to always have friends that don't leave as you go your own way for awhile. They understand that sometimes life takes different turns and you can't always be in the same position as them Great blog again my friend!

 
Site Meter