BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The simple things..........

Before I start off my blog, If you want a great pick me up during the day, check out on youtube the PS22 Chorus. Whoever the music teacher is for this school, they deserve a gold star. They teach these kids popular songs (not the boring crap we had to sing in school) and the kids rock. Check them out. Don’t Stop Believin’ and Just Dance.


The simple things...........

There are few things once you become an adult that you can find the simple things in. For instance, waking up with Kristen and Sloan (with Sloan in a good mood) and having an easy morning and cooking breakfast for them, a really really good beer, Jake’s BBQ (Chickasha, OK), going to see a good movie, and going to or watching a sporting event and soaking up the atmosphere (without a complaint or wanting to go “walk around” during the game).

This past week I got to do two out of the five things, although Sloan and I did get to enjoy a Saturday morning together hanging out and eating breakfast at Leal’s (best breakfast burrito ever). Friday night I got to see one of my favorite childhood baseball player’s play against the Rangers. Not only was it awesome to see Ken Griffey Jr. in a Mariners uniform (almost 15 years to date from the last time I saw him play), but I got to go to the game by myself. I love my family, but sometimes you have to go do something by yourself, and for me I got to go to the Rangers game. Which was a good thing since an ugly rain storm blew in about the 7th inning, which if Sloan was with me we would have left at the first site of rain clouds.

Sometimes when you go to a sporting event you are so rushed to get something to eat, entertain a six year old at the various parent traps of games, and watch some of the game, you miss the little things while you are there. Like enjoying a hot dog (mine was a footlong Chicago dog) and a beer (or a few) and taking in the sites and sounds of a game. Being on both sides of the profession you forget the little things. Being a fan you forget why you became a fan in the first place, and working in sports sometimes you forget why you work in sports. The main reason I work in sports is because I love the atmosphere and the feeling that people had a good time win or lose. Sometimes the losing part out weighs the having a good time part, but at the end of the day when you get home most people will admit they had a good time.

I feel for Kristen, poor thing has no choice but to be force fed sports. Her saving grace is I don’t watch everything sports related. She has to tolerate baseball season and college football season. I sprinkle in basketball at times, but mostly college basketball. Her saving grace is the fact that I am not a huge NFL person, and I can’t stand NASCAR (sorry NASCAR fans). She does know sports though and will surprise me at times with some little tidbit she has been saving for a certain occasion. Sloan loves baseball, and whatever I am watching. Of course she will go for a team if A) I am going for them, B) what team is winning, and C) what color they are wearing. Of course she will go against the team I am going for, until my team is winning then switch sides.

I guess working in sports you forget the little things, which you shouldn’t. Sometimes you have to go out by yourself and remember why you are doing what you do.

This week’s music:

Man I am getting down to the bottom of the barrel of music I have been listening to. I can’t wait for September, the greatest band ever (Pearl Jam) has their new album coming out, and a bunch more bands. Here are this week’s bands, if anyone has someone I should check out let me know.

Discovery-LP
Yes it is named LP (and ironically it is an LP), they are comprised of Rostam Batmanglij from Vampire Weekend and Wes Miles from Ra Ra Riot. It’s not a bad album, its fun to listen too, and I can see it as something to listen to before you go out. It might not last long in my iPod if something else better comes along. Check out the songs Orange Shirt and I Want You Back (yes a Jackson 5 remake).

Blind Pilot- 3 Rounds and a sound
This little band is out of Portland, Oregon and I really like them. A friend from high school mentioned this band to me when he saw them open up for The Decembrists. The one interesting thing I found out about them is that they did a bicycle tour last year and actually built a trailer to haul their instruments behind their bicycles. The hit nine cities on the tour down the Pacific Northwest Coast into California. Check out the songs The Story I Heard and Go On, Say It.

Tegan and Sara- The Con
This Canadian twin sister duo has put out a few albums and I have been wanting to listen to them for a while when I heard one of their singles on XM (for those that don’t have satellite radio, best thing ever!). I read one of my favorite blogs and he mentioned this album. So I picked it up and gave it a listen. Not bad, some good songs on the album check out Back in your head and The Con.

Rancid-Let the Dominoes Fall
I love punk and ska, some people go all heavy metal on people as their dirty love, but I love some punk rock. I have been wanting to get my hands on the new Rancid album for a while. Out Come the Wolves is a classic from the 90’s to help revive the mainstream punk movement, and this one is just as good. If you are living under a rock is the only way you haven’t heard the single Last One To Die off the album. Also check out Up To No Good and Liberty and Freedom.

Dr. Dog- Fate and Easy Beat
One of my best friends kept pushing me to take a listen to this band, and I gave in after his 100th recommendation. I have to say Travis was not wrong. I really like this band and I have been listening to Fate quite a bit. Both albums are really good, I can’t wait to check out the album We All Belong. Check out the song Hang On.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I won't know how it is until the day I have kids. Baseball games are awesome, ballpark food sucks you in and the smell of grass and diry is the best thing as you hear the the popping of the glove in the bullpen.

Anonymous said...

Some of my fondest memories as a kid are from baseball games. There’s nothing quite like opening day.

And not to say I told you so about Dr. Dog but… I told you so! Make sure you catch their set at ACL.

 
Site Meter