BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Drawing a blank

So, as I have mentioned before, it is sometimes hard to write about something each week. I have dug this whole of writing a blog, so I will keep up my end and keep writing something each week. So with fair warning some of my blogs might be a little boring or weird at times.

So I guess this is a different one this week. Things are starting to pick up here at work since athletics season is about to start (first soccer game tomorrow). Sloan is about to bust waiting to go to 1st grade. I have actually been busy the past few weeks, and don’t have any good stories I can think of, but after watching Lollapalooza this past weekend, I wish ACL was next week. I can’t wait to go, I am very pumped just to be able to take in the atmosphere of a festival concert, meet new people, go with an old friend and hopefully run into some friends down there. I have always loved going to concerts, and festival concerts are the best. You get to be around different people, cultures, and all out craziness at a festival. I am going to take a bunch of pictures, and have a blast and something to write about the next week.

I did see an interesting Facebook tagged message I was tagged to the other day. (I want to make a special note that I don’t do the tagged messages often nor participate in Mafia Wars and other games people play on there) So here it goes (don’t hold this against me):

Here's a cool way to see a glimpse into friends' musical tastes and libraries. It's fun to see what lost gems and embarrassing things come up too.(1) Turn on your MP3 player. (2) Go to SHUFFLE songs mode. (3) Write down the first 25 songs that come up--song title and artist--NO editing/cheating, please. I was tagged because friends wanted to know more about my musical tastes, or at least a random sampling there of. So here we go, I start off strong then fade at times……..

Lawyers, Guns, and Money- Warren Zevon
Grapevine Fires- Death Cab for Cutie
High Water- Bob Dylan
Build Me A Woman (Live)- The Doors
Something 2 Dance 2- N.W.A. (not their best song)
This Nowhere- The Airborne Toxic Event
All My Life- The Foo Fighters
One Red Thread- Blind Pilot
Beat on the Brat- The Ramones
Seek and Destroy- Metallica
Nice Dream- Radiohead
Badfish - Sublime
Peak Out- GirlTalk
Funky Monks- Red Hot Chili Peppers
Posse in Effect- Beastie Boys
Hello Again (live)- Neil Diamond
Sour Girl- Stone Temple Pilots
Stay a Little Longer (live)- Willie Nelson and Family
Swing, Swing- All-American Rejects (the drummer use to party with us in college)
Gone, Daddy, Gone- Gnarls Barkley
Tell Me Baby- Red Hot Chili Peppers (yes I have their whole catalogue)
Train in Vain- The Clash
All Along the Watch Tower- Bob Dylan
Gumbo(live)- Phish
Save the Day-Atmosphere

All in all, not a bad shuffle for 25 songs. Looking at it, I can see certain times in my college years, times once I was out of college, and a quick glimpse of me in high school. Not bad iPod, not bad………

This week’s music:
Well I love getting feed back from the few folks that check out what I am listening too. Right now the favorite from last week was Blind Pilot, I would like to know what people think, so if you have a comment either good or bad leave it. Sloan loves the song Daylight from Matt and Kim (I slip some good music into her mp3 player when I get a chance). So here is this week’s music………

Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band- Outer South
Ok, so this is some kind of critically acclaimed album so far this year. I read the article in the Rolling Stone about him not too long ago, so I decided to give it a listen. It’s not bad, but I think it’s too early to write this off as one of the best albums of the year.(yes music critics I said it) The song I like right now is Difference is Time.

Editors- An End Has A Start
Ok, I don’t know why I haven’t started listening to these guys before now. I really like this album. I have got on a kick listening to a few of the bands this week, and this is one of them. Love this album, check out the songs Smokers Outside the hospital door, and An End Has A Start.

Ra Ra Riot- The Rhumb Line
Another band I have heard on the radio a lot and it just got put down on my list to listen too. I really like this band as well, a pretty descent album, check out the songs Go With The Flow and Can You Tell.

Interpol
I always have a band that I feel is worth of owning all their albums, this is one of those bands. I think the White Lies and a few other bands are starting to sound similar to Interpol here lately. If there was one album that I would get it would be Antics, but they are all good albums. Check out the song Slow Hands off of Antics (Sloan just told me from the bath tub that she liked this song as well.)

Owl City-Ocean Eyes
This goes along with my promise to myself to check out more Alternative Pop. I love Lily Allen, so I gave Alt Pop another chance. Not too long ago the song Fireflies caught my attention, so I took a listen to Owl City. It’s kind of a gushy alt-pop album, but it is catchy. It takes a few listens to kind of like this album, but it’s a good pick me up. Check out Fireflies and The Bird and the worm.

Portugal, The Man-The Satanic Satanist
Ok, the name of the album will throw you off. You think hard rock, but it’s actually not even close. I learned of this band through a great ESPN column, and the fact that he checked them out this past weekend at Lollapalooza. This might be a new favorite album, check out the songs People Say and The Sun.

1 comments:

Burke Family said...

Kevin, I have to say that I love reading your blog - and the insight into you. However, I rarely have time to listen to my own music, much less check out what you suggest (bummer)! It would take me all week to do 25 links to songs like you did! :-) I think that the iPod trick should include the 25 most listened to songs on the iPod - or not - maybe that would have all HSM or Hanna M! You did have a great list! Keep up the writing!

 
Site Meter