BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The anticipation is killing me

Well, this is the longest week ever (next to the birth of Sloan) for me. I am at five days and counting until going to the ACL Festival in Austin. I haven’t been excited about something like this in a long time. I get a little excited when baseball season starts up (for the fact I feel every year is the Mets year), and college football, but this is an excitement of a kid.

I get to see two of my most favorite bands/artists of all time in one day, almost back to back. Of course Pearl Jam will be playing that night, but I also have a small love affair with Ben Harper after he blew me away in 1998 on the main stage at Horde Fest. After being excited and shocked to see the Smashing Pumpkins take the stage and then witnessing their break up on stage after four songs into their set, the organizers moved a musician from Claremont, CA onto the main stage to satisfy the angry crowd. I had no idea what I was in store for, but after his set, I was never blown away by someone until then. From 1998 on, I have never missed an album release by Ben Harper, also converting some of my friends along the way to fans of Ben. I get to reunite with him since the last time I saw him live (1999 in Dallas). I am very eager to see him play with his new band Relentless 7.

The one thing I am most excited about is seeing new bands that day. I know that Ben and PJ will rock my socks off; it’s seeing new things that also excite me. I love going to sporting events and concerts. The best are outdoor concerts, if I had to pick I would see concerts outdoors rather than in an arena. It’s the sights, sounds, and smells that just add to everything. As you can tell, I am very excited to get to Austin, and now wish I could have afforded to take the weekend and see all three days, but that hopefully will happen next year, with Sloan and Kristen.

So I have a list of bands that I want to see during the day, and hopefully find some new bands that day as well. I am also bringing a camera so don’t worry I will have some pics to show everyone next week. Plus some good stories to write about as well. So I haven’t got any new music for you guys this week, but here is my list of bands I want to see on Sunday. Have a good week.

Here is my ACL Schedule (also my wish list for Friday and Saturday):
http://2009.aclfestival.com/14961/schedule/2009/10/04

12:20- Mike Posner (awesome college kid from Duke, listen to him here)

12:30ish- The Dodos (a band I am interested in, listen to them here)

1:15- Here We Go Magic and David Garza (both interested in, listen to HWGM here and
DG here)

2:00- The B-52s and Clutch (you have to catch a little of the B-52s and Clutch I have
Heard is very good, Listen to B-52s here and Clutch here)

3:00- White Lies (a band I am excited to see, listen to the here.)

3:00 & 3:30- State Radio and Heartless Bastards (going to try and see both, might get
stuck with White Lies though. Listen to State Radio here and Heartless
Bastards here.)

4:00- Arctic Monkeys (I can’t wait to see them, they might (probably will) trump seeing
the Toadies. Listen to AM here and Toadies here.)

4:45-Brett Dennen (Love this kid, saw him open up for John Mayer, Listen to Brett here.)
5:00-Passion Pit (Love this band, can’t wait to see them, Listen to the Pit here.)

5:00ish- Dirty Projectors (I hear a lot about them, so I am going to try and check them
out, listen to them here.)

6:00- Ben Harper and Relentless 7 (I can’t wait, busting to see Ben blow the place up.
Listen to Ben here, and here.)

6:00ish- The Dead Weather (I am going to try and see Jack White and his new band play.
Listen to them here. I really want to see them; it will be hard to leave Ben’s set)

7:00- Girl Talk, Dan Auerbach, and Michael Franti (here is where it will get tough for
me, I really want to see GT, and I can’t miss Dan Auerbach, I love the Black Keys
and his solo album is unbelievable, and I am interested in seeing Franti play a
little. Listen to GT here, Auerbach here, and Franti here.)

8:00- PEARL JAM (enough said, greatest band, listen to PJ here, here, and here if you
have lived under a rock and have never heard them.)

0 comments:

 
Site Meter