BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yes, we have that kid

Well for the few that read my blog each week, most of the time I try to write about our ups and downs of raising a kid. Most of the time I try to keep the downs out of it and write mostly about our ups, which would be the fun times of raising Sloan. Along the way so far Kristen and I have figured out that we are the younger parents that you see at various functions that involve Sloan. We take baby steps and cope with it along the way, and laugh at each other when we get the chance.

I am usually the younger looking dad, wearing jeans, a t-shirt, tennis shoes, and a hat at most of Sloan’s stuff. Most of the time feeling younger than I should when I see the rest of the dad’s dressed “down” as they like to call it, which most of the time means some sort of khaki and a collard shirt. To me that is my work clothes, being in the profession I am in the only time I have had to wear any sort of tie/shirt/suit/slack combo is either for an interview or we happen to have a men’s basketball game that day. (For those keeping score at home, basketball season is from November-March, so there is a small window for me having to wear a tie, and I haven’t interviewed for a job in almost five years.)

The other times, Kristen and I often talk after functions about how we feel so much younger than the other parents. I am glad we are younger, and get an earlier start on kids than most. Of course Kristen and I would like to act like we planned this out, but some higher being had it planned out for us. Kristen and I have a cute dynamic, as I am the strong-silent one, and she does the talking for the rest of us. (If you have ever been around us you will catch on real quick to this dynamic.) For what she does in talking, I make up in sarcastic, sometimes smart-ass comments, and what I like to call quick-dry wittiness. So it evens out in the end.

So with all that said, the two younger parents in Sloan’s class (Kristen and I) had our first parent-teacher conference of the year. As we sit down in the chairs designed for first graders (have no idea why they don’t bring two normal size chairs in for the parents to sit at) and the semi-circle table, also designed for six year olds. We talk to Sloan’s teacher about how she is doing in school. As mentioned above, my beautiful wife dominates the conversation, which is fine with me; I am the strong-silent one. So after talking about progress, grades, etc. we get to hear how she is in the classroom.

Of course our beautiful Sloan takes after her mother when it comes to talking to friends in class (very talkative). Which we were assured all kids are a bit of a talker, but we both know how Sloan is, and she can talk a fence post to death. Then her teacher informs us that Sloan is quite the “helper” in class. Also anything and everything that she needs or wants done, she just calls on Sloan to do it. Not to mention, Sloan also volunteers at any point during the day, raises her hand first, all the normal traits of a teacher’s pet. Which to Sloan’s defense, Kristen and I have taught her to always help out, say please and thank you, etc.

As we say our goodbyes to Sloan’s teacher, we both walk down the hall towards the door. At the same moment we both look at each other and admit we have the teacher’s pet kid, and start laughing. So while walking to the car laughing, we decide that it’s a good thing she is so helpful, and it’s not a bad thing she is this way, and it does not surprise me at all. She is a sweet helpful kid and I am very glad we have raised her this way. We just need to make sure it does not turn into the know-it-all/teacher’s pet kid everyone “loved” when they were in junior high and high school. All in all, Sloan is doing great in school, and for this blog I get to brag about her behavior, although that behavior does not always come home with her from school, so I am going to chalk this up as a victory. We are planning something special for our little teacher’s pet this week, so watch out shoguns here we come.

Music this week:
I am starting to find out that my musical tastes are taking a different turn. I usually listen to the alternative station on XM radio, but I have been opting to listen to Sirius XMU. So if my music starts getting a little weird, don’t worry.

Clutch-Strange Cousins from the West
I saw this band at ACL; I feel they got some harsh reviews this past week for their set. It was exactly what I needed to start of the day, a little good old fashioned rock to wake you up. They have been together for a little over a decade, and have maintained their hard rock/blues influence as well. Neil Fallon has some great vocals that border on psychedelic ramblings. I really like Motherless Child, and 50, 0000 Unstoppable Watts.

Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue
Well, I have been an Alice In Chains fan for a long time. One of the best trades I have made for music was to give my sister the Guns-N-Roses Cds I had for Dirt and Facelift from AIC. I am not going to lie; I was very reluctant to get this album. In 2002 Layne Staley died of a drug overdose, and I honestly felt that was the end of AIC. They picked up a new lead singer, William DuVall and recorded their new album. I have to say, Alice In Chains picked up where they left off. I am very pleasantly surprised at this album, and I have listened to it a lot since getting it. I like the songs When the Sun Rose Again and Private Hell.

School of Seven Bells-Alpinisms
I have been interested in this trio for a while, and was bummed that I couldn’t see them when they were at ACL this year. SOSB consists of Benjamin Curtis of Secret Machines and identical twins Alejandra and Claudia Deheza of On!Air!Library!. I got the album today to listen to while at work, along with The Flaming Lips new album (I will review that next week). After the first two listens today, I really like SOSB. They weave some beautiful vocals from the Deheza twins with amazing music. I can see myself listening to Alpinisms a lot. So far I like the songs Half Asleep, My Cabal, and Face to Face On High Places.

0 comments:

 
Site Meter