BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Duke Blue Dragons

Well, as most of you that follow this blog, most of it is about my life, my love affair with music, my family, and my uncanny love for sports and my career. Unfortunately for Kristen she also at times (and reluctantly) shares my love for all of the above. Mostly she is reluctant about sharing my love for sports. With this time of year, she really hates it, because college football is in the thick of the season, and basketball is starting up. She really doesn’t like basketball. (Hence the title of the blog, she blurted this out during one of my numerous sports quizzes I give her, mostly to bug her.)

For me, this is when I start getting busier at work due to men’s basketball season starting, with that it means a few more days less at home during the week and weekends. Not to mention, I have started watching NBA basketball again as well. (To Kristen’s delight) It’s also time to get Sloan signed up to play basketball again this year, which she is excited about.

There are two reasons I am starting to watch NBA basketball again, 1) Oklahoma FINALLY got a pro team and I have to support the home town team now, and 2) Blake Griffin now plays for the Clippers and I like to watch him play. The reason for the long hiatus from NBA basketball is the fact I was spoiled growing up. I started out watching Magic, Isaiah, Bird, and the Greatest Player ever Michael Jordan. Honestly the late 80’s and 90’s were the best time to watch the NBA. Once Jordan retired, I followed suit and quit watching, honestly you only get to see someone like Jordan once in a lifetime during sports, who can blame me? It’s like talking to my Dad about baseball and he brings up Mantle, Rose, Schmidt, Aaron and others. I can’t blame him, he got to see baseball when it was great (not that it isn’t now), but the players back then were amazing. Just like me and the NBA as a kid, it was amazing then.

Plus to make this a legit music blog as well, one of the greatest bands ever got its original name from an NBA player. (Yes it’s a Pearl Jam reference and a quiz, name that player and I will send you something cool, bonus if you get the school he went too.)

Not only was I a huge Jordan fan, I still have the original Nike Air Jordan poster waiting to be framed and hung in my man cave (when I get a man cave). I have always loved basketball; I just chose to watch the college game for a while until I got the interest back. I am not a huge NFL follower, so Kristen gets off easy on that, and of course I am a huge baseball fan and always will. So I decided it was time to get back into the NBA full-time instead of watching Sportscenter for highlights. So I am a little excited that basketball is starting, and for me at work it means a change of pace (and TV face time for me during our games on TV, I am the random dude with a headset on when you see guys check in and out), and a change of pace is always nice at work. It is one of my bigger sports I get to do marketing for. So this week I am excited to get it started, which it also means closer to baseball season starting back up.

So, if you see or talk to Kristen she might be on edge due to the fact her most hated sport has started. She tolerates all the other sports, and at times thinks there is no end for some sports, and I agree. How freaking long is hockey season? Well, keep an eye out for me when Baylor plays, I am the dude hating wearing a tie, sitting at the scorers table.

Music for this week:
Well another good month of music this month with the release of Weezer, Dashboard Confessional, John Mayer, and a ton of others. It looks like I am still on my euro music trip with some Aussies thrown in as well, so here we go with some music I am listening too.

Mumford and Sons-Sigh No More
Someone mentioned I should check this band a while back. They are a folk band from England. They formed in 2007 and have put out a lot of EP’s until the release of Sigh No More this year. I have to say that the acclaim following the band is holding true to form, if you like bands like Blind Pilot, The Decembrists, M.Ward, Monsters of Folk, or The Avett Brothers, you will like Mumford and Sons. They have a folksy almost blue grass tinge to their music. Check out the song Little Lion Man.

Wolfmother-Cosmic Egg
I have always kind of kept notice of Wolfmother ever since I heard “woman”, I knew these Aussies could play a little. They formed in 2000, and finally hit it big in 2006 with the release of their self titled album Wolfmother. They had a ton of great singles on that album, so I was ready to hear their second album once it was released. I have to say I am happy with it so far. They once again came out to rock on another album. Right now I like New Moon Rising and 10,000 Feet. If you haven’t listened to their first album you should do so.

The Big Pink-A Brief History of Love
Well, another English band that I have decided to take a listen too. They got their name from the album “The Big Pink” by the Band, but don’t let that fool you. They are actually an electro-rock band. Once again Paul Shirley came through and recommended this band. It is going to take me a few listens to determine if I really like them or not. Right now I like the songs Dominos and Love in Vain.

2 comments:

Game-Zone Recreation said...

It said in your profile that you like video games? Out of curiosity do you own any systems? And if so are you looking forward to any of the new games about to come out? Anyway, it's nice to see that there's blogger out there with the same interest, hope to keep in touch.

KWH said...

I do own an xbox 360 and ready for the new update coming out for last fm, which will be sweet. As far as games, Assasins Creed 2 should be cool.

 
Site Meter