BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Figuring out I am starting to get old

There are certain times when an adult (yes I am using that to describe myself here), that you understand you are getting old. Once you are out of college and working and girls all of a sudden becomes less interested in you because your are out of college. When you have to debate the good and the bad of going out during the week. You have to talk yourself into going to a concert during the week and also knowing you have to take a day off the next day to recuperate. Also the bright idea of going to a party and staying out way too late, and having to deal with it not only the next day, but for the whole weekend.

The last one actually happened to me this past weekend. Don’t get me wrong, I had a great time meeting some new people that actually have the same interests as I do. Which is rare for me, not everyone wants to talk about music, sports, and other random stuff. I am in no way someone to talk about politics, national and world events with. I don’t keep up with that, it’s too depressing. Plus being a liberal in the state of ultra conservative uptight people does not bold well for me in that situation.(yes I am talking about Texas where good ol’ W can do no wrong.)

Well during the course of the night, I met some really cool people, got to hang out with a friend (and fellow Pearl Jam fan) before he leaves for a new job, and of course having some adult beverages as well. I got in some great discussions about music, new bands to listen to, meeting another music elitist (yes there are a lot of us out there), and while doing this I managed to stay up well past my bedtime. It was more like my bedtime or lack there of, I had when Boyd and I lived together in Edmond. This is my downfall of being in my 30’s (or close to mid 30’s for those counting) it was entirely way too late. I often tell Kristen that I might be in my 30’s, but in my mind I still feel 25-27. Well, mind might feel that age, but the old body doesn’t, and it let me know this whole weekend.

I have a theory that you feel the age where you have the best memories, for me that was from 25-27. I was finishing up college, having the time of my life, and it was right around the time I met Kristen and started working in sports. Well my friend, the 25-27 year old Kevin would have kicked the crap out of the Kevin of now. I am naturally a night owl and have always been one, but note to self, can’t stay out that late.

The best thing of the night is I finally found some people that I like hanging out with and had the same interests as me. I have a lot of friends that think it’s the coolest thing I work in sports (and it is), but I get my fill of sports so much that a lot of the time the last thing I want to talk about is sports, seeing it’s almost like talking about work for me. So when I meet people that want to talk about music especially, I really enjoy it. So all in all, I guess the reward of feeling old the whole weekend was I had a great time Friday. It was a first at a party here in Waco, hopefully it won’t be the last. Thanks, Lars.

New Music for the Week:
Well, I am still holding out hope that I get discovered by Rolling Stone or anyone that will let me review music for that matter. I guess I will never let my rock n’ roll dreams die. Here are some of my picks for this week. I have a ton of music to listen to still on my external hard drive. I am slowly getting through it, but these five albums this week have stuck out to me, so here we go.

The Parlor Mob-And You Were a Crow
I have had them on my radar for a while since listening to a single you got at ACL this year. I have to say I have listened to this album for about three days now, and I haven’t got tired of it yet. TPM is a nice change right now, they have a rock feel to them, and Mark Melicia on vocals is outstanding. They have got the attention of being a “must see” live band, and from listening to their album I can see why. From top to bottom this album is great, I would say you should check them out before they get big. Listen to Everything you’re breathing for and Carnival Of Crows.

Editors-In This Light And On This Evening
This is their newest album they released in October. I really liked their first full length album and of course I was interested in their newest one. On a personal note, the one downfall is one of the singles will be on the new Twilight soundtrack. (I really feel that this movie will ruin bands I like for being on the soundtrack) They did make a turn to a more electric feel for this album, which it feels a few bands from Europe are starting to turn that way. It has taken me a while to like this album, there are a few tracks that are starting to stand out to me. Check out Papillion.

50 Cent-Before I Self Destruct
Ok, as I keep telling everyone, I am a huge hip hop fan. I hope that at age 60 I embarrass my grandkids by playing Dr. Dre too loud when they come to visit. Well it has been a great year so far for hip hop fans with the release of Eminem, Raekwon, and Jay-Z. 50 Cent made sure everyone was going to take notice to his album as well. I have to say right now it’s in the top five this year. It was well worth the wait for Dr. Dre to produce his new album after Eminem’s. Right now my favorite tracks are Then Day Went By and Psycho.

White Denim- Fits
This trio hails from Austin, TX (I do hate the school there, but as music goes, I would live in Austin.) It’s hard to put White Denim in a category, which is good, I would have to say they are more experimental music at this point. This is their third studio album along with three EP’s they have released. I have listened to this album a few times since getting it, with experimental stuff you have to listen to it a lot before you catch on. Right now I am really starting to like White Denim, check out the song I Start To Run.

Weezer-Raditude
I will always have a soft spot for Weezer, I have stayed by their side and I hope I never leave. The seventh album from Weezer is really good. I prepared myself for a pop feel of an album from them ever since I heard the rumors from Rivers Cuomo that he was going to do a pop album. He brought in some help ranging from Lil’Wayne to The All-American Rejects to help with the album. He was wanting a pop record and he got it. There are a few songs on here that will catch on to top 40 radio. Right now I like the first single (If You’re Wondering If I Want You To)I Want You To and The Girl Got Hot.

0 comments:

 
Site Meter