BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Odd Couple

I believe in the fact that opposites attract to each other. I really feel it rings true to the unique relationship that Kristen and I have. We do have odd quirks between the both of us, some of them neither one of us understand, but we accept it. Seeing how we met you might think that both of us are outdoorsy people. Which although Kristen was a climbing instructor in Colorado, she isn’t much into the whole camping out thing. Me being from Oklahoma, you would think I am all into hunting and fishing. I am far from that, I feel in my past life I lived in a large city such as New York. I am more “city folk” than I am “country folk” being from Oklahoma. What will come as shock to my peeps in Oklahoma, I have never been hunting or even shot a gun. Yes, I know, I am losing my card carrying privileges of being an Okie.

I do love sports, where Kristen could careless even though it has been what has paid the bills for a while now. Just like, I could careless about the medical and serial killer shows she watches on TV. Not that we don’t care about what each other is interested in, we just accept that one of us likes this and the other something else and we move on. Seeing the Kardashians have a reality show (which I am still trying to figure out what makes these people famous), I feel at times my family (both sides) could have one as well. For those that have had the privilege of watching sports with my wife, it could be a sitcom within itself. She tries really hard to act like she knows who athletes are. Here is the perfect conversation that kristen and I have, a) she tries to figure out rules during the game (great quiz while watching a sport together) and b)she acts like she either knows the athlete or the team and sport they play. The latter of the two is by far and away my favorite thing to quiz her on.

Here is a typical conversation we had the other night, I came in singing a Jay-Z song and I said the lyric “If Jeezy's payin LeBron, I’m paying Dwayne Wade” we then had to get in a conversation on who exactly was Dwayne Wade. I wish we had our own reality show at that moment. She does know who Lebron is and also calls him Bron Bron since they are on a friendly basis. This conversation went on for a while, and in the end I don’t think she still knows who Dwayne Wade is, but she still likes the Jay-Z song anyway.

On the flip side, she comes in and tells me all the exciting things she has done during the day. Being a good husband I listen to everything she tells me up to the part where the blood and guts stuff comes into play. At that point I then stop her mid-sentence and tell her how awesome it is she does what she does and I then tell her that I don’t need ALL the details to her day. It takes a special person to do what she does, and thank god I am not that person because I would have already found another occupation instead of nursing.

Another thing that separates us is our athletic ability. At one time and many many pounds ago, I was some what an athlete (I use that term lightly). Many years ago my beautiful wife dominated the Texas High School debate circuit. Even though I have put on a little weight since them, I somewhat still have a little coordination left in these old bones. My young vibrant wife on the other hand, well you can tell she was in debate. Nothing against her being smarter than me, and it shows a lot of the time that she is. I know when she comes in from work either smelling of gas (yes, spilling gas on herself while filling up the gas tank) or telling me how she has fallen out of a chair at work and is now voted most comical by all the doctors, I will always be in for a laugh.

So when it comes to people talking about how opposite they are from their significant other, it’s not always a bad thing. Kristen and I get a long great and I feel it’s because we are different from one another. I wouldn’t want it any other way, plus don’t get me started on my love of music and her wanting both Glee Soundtracks for Christmas. Sometimes I think she does stuff just to get under my skin.

(P.S. New marriage rule: When soaked in gasoline, put your clothes outside in the back yard, especially when you can smell gas before you get inside the house from the front yard.)

New Music for the week:
Ok, since I am busy now, my new goal is not only a blog on Tuesday, but just trying to get a blog in for the week. I have a ton of music I just got, and there are some great albums on the way for 2010 (White Stripes, Beastie Boys, possible Interpol and The National, it makes me very very excited for 2010). Here is a look at what I have listened to this week.

Blind Pilot-iTunes Session
This whole indie-folk scene is really turning out some great bands lately, and one of my favorites is Blind Pilot. I was pumped when I saw on iTunes that they did an acoustic session for them. If you haven’t got 3 rounds and a sound yet, please do so. This EP only has five songs on it, but man is it good. Something great to listen to at work or relaxing at home. Please check out Blind Pilot, you won’t be disappointed.

Vampire Weekend-Contra
VW had their first album come out in 2008 and it was a critically acclaimed album after a few months. I took a listen to the Discovery LP that came out over the summer by Rostam Batmanglij and it was not too bad. I knew I was ready for him to help get the VW album finished. I was on the fence by the first single that was released, but I got Contra this week and it is an amazing album. If this is the start of albums for 2010, I am very excited for the rest of the albums to come out.

Reissue:
The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
I grew up with a dad that loved the Beach Boys and still does. Therefore at a young age I became a Beach Boy fan along with Elvis and the Beatles. Brian Wilson felt he had to come up with something amazing after listening to Rubber Soul by the Beatles. I had to reach back and find my copy of Pet Sounds to listen to over christmas. I have to say, this album is still amazing, you have songs like Sloop John B, Wouldn’t It Be Nice, God Only Knows just to name a few. It has been widely ranked as one of the most influential records ever released in pop music and has been ranked at number #1 in several music magazines' lists of greatest albums of all time. Great album everyone should own.

0 comments:

 
Site Meter