BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 28, 2010

There is still music out "there"

I always have a hard time when it comes to people my age. It seems to me at some point many of them just turned the switch off and decided that all great music stopped with Mazzy Star or Alanis Morissette. Or even worse, they turned the switch off on the classic rock station and haven’t moved on. Don’t get me wrong I like classic rock and music from when I was growing up, although I never really liked Mazzy Star (fade into you is a good song) and never been a Morissette fan. I am and will always be a fan of music though.

I sometimes find it hard to believe people when they tell me there is no good music out “there”. Where ever “there” is, I have to say; you just aren’t looking in the right spot. I constantly try to make sure I give all forms of music a try, I keep trying to give Animal Collective a try, but I just can’t get into it. I know coming from a music geek, me not getting into Animal Collective is like pushing down my own daughter. I do at times; try to give country music a chance. I listened to Zac Brown last night, and for the life of me country just does not appeal to me. Don’t get me wrong, Zac Brown is very talented and I can see why he is talked about so much. He has some really catchy songs, but I just can’t get into it. My point is I still give music a chance. I could have turned the switch off after Pearl Jam or when the Smashing Pumpkins broke up, but I had already been to so many shows (concerts for some) and listened to so much at that point I knew there was more out there. Plus my friends constantly brought over new music I just couldn’t pass up not listening to it.

I guess for me it still makes me feel young listening to music, old and new. I have always liked experiencing new things, and music is a way of letting me do it. I can promise that I can find something that you would like. It’s out “there” and you can find it if you try. Here lately music has been helping me get through some tough days at work. I know at any point I can browse through my ipod and find a song or here lately an album (Passion Pit-Manners) and get a little pick me up during the day. Some times all you need is a 2 to 3 minute song to get you out of a funk. That’s why it makes me sad when some one says there is no good music out there. There is a ton of great music that did happen after the Beatles quit putting it out, or after everyone finally figured out how much boys bands sucked. It’s out there, and there are music geeks like me that would love to help you find it, sometimes all you have to do is ask.

Music for the week:
Well there have been some great bands that I have kind of stumbled upon the past few weeks. Here is a look at three I suggest you should take a listen too.

Surfer Blood-Astro Coast
This is the debut album from the West Palm Beach, Florida band. They have a mixture of sound that would be a mix of Weezer, Pavement, a little Built to Spill and a few other bands that influenced them. This is another really great album to start off 2010. Check out the song Swim.
Los Campesinos!
I would list their albums, they just released this week the album Romance is Boring. I decided a few weeks ago to listen to their 2008 album We are beautiful, We are doomed and I really liked them. I was looking for something a little different to listen too and I found it with them. They started out in Cardiff, Wales while in college there and they have only released three albums now and one EP. Check out There are Listed Buildings off their new album.

Kid Cudi- Man on the Moon: The End of Day
I decided to check out Kid Cudi after I read a great review about his first album. As most of you know, I do love hip-hop and I am always looking for something other than mainstream stuff that is played all the time. Most of the time the songs on the mainstream hip-hop is always the same. I do long for the days of A Tribe Called Quest, but as I stated in my blog, I can’t turn the off switch off since they are no longer together. This album came out in 2009, and I wish that I would have know about this when it came out, it is a great album and something that hip-hop needs. He combines tracks with indie band Ratatat and also brings in MGMT in as well. If you want something different with your hip-hop check out Kid Cudi, I have another new artist next week as well for hip-hop. Check out the songs Make Her Say and Soundtrack 2 my life.

0 comments:

 
Site Meter