BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Concert #5- The Decemberists with the Other Lives, and other random things

Well, on the concert resolution I have now been to 5 shows this year. The fifth show was The Decemberists with the Other Lives at Stubbs in Austin. The concert was in their outside venue, and it was the perfect size for a Decemberists show. The opening band the Other Lives were very good. They also released a new album this week, and on top of that they are from Oklahoma, which is really awesome. The concert was great, and sometimes you listen to music all day long, but until you see them play it live it doesn’t hit you how amazing musicians they are. Plus learning how to play the guitar is also a very humbling experience, but it also gives you a little look at how much time and effort it takes to play an instrument. I have to say both the opening band the Decemberists are both amazing musicians.

On top of going to the concert I did get to have a little time to myself to do a little record shopping at Waterloo Records. I love going to Waterloo when I am in Austin, you never know what you might find looking through the records there. On this particular day I did get a great record which was Led Zeppelins soundtrack to their movie The Song remains the Same. I was very pumped when I came across it, and I also got an old Iron and Wine record. I am really starting to become a big fan of Iron and Wine, so when I see anything by him on vinyl I usually snatch it up rather quickly. I think my next big purchases will be the White Stripes catalogue (album by album), and anything I can find by Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin.

So now it is time for a few albums I have listened to this past week:

1.Beastie Boys- Hot Sauce Committee Part 2- This was the 2 year delayed release of the Beastie Boys due to MCA’s fight with cancer. I am a HUGE fan of the Beasties and Licensed to Ill was probably one of the first albums that I have ever bought. So I am always stoked to get any music from them. I have to say that this album goes back to the old school Beasties. I love the first single of the album, check out Make Some Noise.

2.Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues- This is the second album from the Fleet Foxes. I liked their first album, and so far after a few listens this one seems to be better than the first. Check out the song Helplessness Blues.

3.The Airborne Toxic Event- All at once- This is also their second album. I got to see them at ACL a few years ago, and really liked them live. After a couple of listens to this album I think this album is going to be good for them. Check out the song Changing.

0 comments:

 
Site Meter