BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Rare Snow Day

So we had the very, very rare snow day here in Texas. It’s not often that is either 1) cold enough to snow, and stick 2) snows enough to let work and school out. So Sloan and I were cooped up at times at home much like Bon Iver was in Minnesota. (yeah I snuck in a musical reference)

I had a very excited and gitty little girl when I picked her up at school. We caught up on some much needed play time in the snow. We built two snowmen, one snow fort and had numerous snowball fights during the day. For me, I got a nice half day off that is going to be gold the next few weeks with baseball and basketball going and no weekends off until March 19th.

I also got to catch up on some music that I have wanted to listen to, and it felt right at home for a sunny day. I got to listen to the Avett Brothers new album (new to me anyway), I and Love and You. I have not been much of a bluegrass person, but if you told me that the Avett Brothers were the only bluegrass I had to listen too, I would be all for it. This album is great and seemed to fit right in for a snowy day. Every song I have got to listen to is just as good as the last and the album seems to get better. I am really enjoying my day so far.

After listening to the Avett Brothers, I decided I wanted to listen to Angels and Airwaves. I got an e-mail where they sent me a link to get my free copy of their album, much like many folks did. I wasn’t very familiar with A&A, but I have liked some of their singles I have heard. I did decided to listen to their other two albums first, and setting aside the fact that Tom DeLonge said they were going to be the best band in the world at one time. I listened to their first two albums, and they are actually very good. I now need to get to their new album Love. So far I am happy with my musical choices on my rare snow day.

To top off the whole snow day, is I got to pick up my valentine’s gift from Kristen. She went and got my Pearl Jam poster from the ACL show custom framed for me. Of course seeing this only fueled my desire to collect more concert posters. So when she complains or questions my taste in concert poster art, I can point to this day as the day she started me on my quest. You sometimes forget how awesome a snow day was when you were a kid. So not only did I get to listen to some great music, hang out with the coolest 6 year old in the world, I got my snow day, and it was awesome.

Music for the week:
Yes, you get bonus music for this week. I have been on my Led Zeppelin kick for the past few weeks, and fair warning I am now reading “Accidental Revolution: The Story of Grunge”, so be prepared for some early 90’s grunge music the next few weeks.

Heartless Bastards- The Mountain
I got to catch them on Austin City Limits a few weeks ago, and I was blown away by Erika Wennerstrom’s vocals and the feel of the music. You don’t find too many just great rock bands now, and they are one of them. I really want to see this band live, and it sucks that I missed them at ACL last year. Hopefully I can catch them soon.

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds-Live in Las Vegas
I am one of the rare people that usually isn’t a big fan of Dave Matthews. I do however always like when he pairs up with Tim Reynolds. Don’t ask me why, but my favorite Dave Matthews album is his very first double album with Tim Reynolds. So I had some what of an interest in this one when it came out. Much like the first one, this one is very solid and is another great acoustic album by DM and TR.

Motion City Soundtrack-My Dinosaur Life
I have kept this album on my radar for a few weeks. I have been hearing so many good things about it, so I knew at some point I would have to check it out. Everything I have heard about it, it up to par so far. Each song is catchy and is actually good. I am going to have to listen to this a few more times to tell if I am still in love with it, but it isn’t too bad.

0 comments:

 
Site Meter