BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A song to define a generation

For a few weeks now I have been reading two books that have to do with music. One is Hammer of the Gods, a book about Led Zeppelin and their rise to fame, and eventual fall as well. The other I am starting is the Accidental Revolution, about the rise and also eventual fall of Grunge Music. Both books have been not only about a had full of bands from a musical movement and a larger than life band from a generation, but it also brought up the thought of songs that define a generation as well.

Led Zeppelin was one of the largest and most powerful bands of the 70’s. Although the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were still around, as well as Elvis, Led Zeppelin sold out arenas and made a lot of money. Not to mention the music they were making was ground breaking. The one song that to this day stands the test of time and can almost transcend generations is “Stairway to Heaven”. This song was one of Led Zeppelin’s songs that made them one of the most influential bands of all time. I could almost say “Whole Lotta Love” is almost in the same category. “Stairway to Heaven” was a song to this day any music lover will recognize it in about 10 seconds into the song, if not the first few chords. When it first came out, not only were kids listening to this song, but suburban housewives requested it on the radio during the day. This was a song that not only defined a generation, but is also has transcended a generation at this point.

For me, there have been a ton of songs that have stood out while I have been getting older and growing up, but for me “Smells Like Teen Spirit” is the one song that still remains vivid to me to this day. Yes this is coming from a self acclaimed Pearl Jam fan. Don’t get me wrong, if I had to pick one album that to this day defines me, it would be Pearl Jam Ten. Although the one song that would remain important to me and hopefully my generation would be “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. This one song killed the 80’s hair band movement, or helped it to its death spiral faster. Nirvana pushed forward the Grunge movement a little faster. I guess this song helped usher in the “I don’t care” generation or for some Generation X. It also pushed the boundaries of music as a whole. It shook the cobwebs off of rock music to remind everyone that rock didn’t have to involve spandex and hairspray. It also made me realize that music could once again mean something. It helped me understand that being awkward and strange wasn’t a bad thing. To put it simple and easy, it defined not only me, but most of my generation, much like “Stairway to Heaven” did for the Zeppelin generation.

For some people they had Elvis, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, The Who, or Led Zeppelin. For me I had Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and I feel very fortunate and lucky to have them even for a short while. Pearl Jam Ten and Nirvana Nevermind helped me get through many days and nights at the end of high school and later in college. The best thing about it, I still have those to albums to make me feel young at times, and thanks Kurt and Eddie for giving me them.

This week’s music:
Well, I have a few new and a few old to give the few folks that read this. I have gone back to get some old stuff that I feel I need to have a decent music collection. So I hope you give some of the old and new a chance if you haven’t already.

The Avett Brothers-I and Love and You
I have been on the fence about listening to the Avett Brothers because I haven’t been a huge fan of bluegrass, and that’s what people kept referring to them as. I have to go on record as saying they are more of the alt-folk movement than anything. I really love this album and have listened to it a lot the past few weeks. I really like the song January Wedding, but I recommend checking them out.

Beach House-Teen Dream
This is the third full length album by the Baltimore dream pop duo. This has got a lot of attention here lately. This album reminds me of a cross between Mazzy Star and Smashing Pumpkins. Victoria Legrand offers up some great soft vocals over the tracks. This is a great album to throw on at work or at home to have some great background music. This album is a must get for any indie music fan. This whole album is really good, so it’s hard for me to point out one song.

Real Estate-Real Estate
I mentioned I picked up this album a few blogs ago, and now I get to write a little about it. This band hails from New Jersey, but I have to say their music sounds something that is from a beach in California. This is what is called psychedelic surf pop, but to me it’s another great indie album. I have to admit I like the whole dream pop/surf pop stuff that is coming out. This is another great album to listen to if you are an indie music fan.

0 comments:

 
Site Meter