BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The lost music video

I had another proud Dad moment last night while sitting at home with Sloan waiting for Kristen to get home. I got my first issue of DEEP magazine in the mail, which I have to say made my superfandom and me being a music geek even more visible. DEEP is a magazine that Pearl Jam puts out for their members of the Ten Club. Yes I know this makes me sound even more of a music geek. As I was reading the magazine and showing it to Sloan and telling her who everyone was, she asked me if she could see one of their concerts. Of course this made me proud at that moment.

I then put in my copy of “Touring Band 2000” and showed her a few songs from the DVD. She really like Daughter/It’s OK and Given to Fly due to the fact that Eddie brought up a girl out of the crowd to do sign language on stage during the song. I knew I had to listen to Kristen and take her to a concert at some point. I haven’t watched that DVD in a while and saw that in the bonus features they had a few videos. I decided to watch the video for Oceans. At that point Sloan asked me what it was that we were watching, and I told her a music video and at that point she asked me what that was.

At this point I forgot that MTV had officially dropped the music video and has now became a full fledge reality tv station for teens. To now date myself, I can remember the day my sister and I first turned on MTV and was wowed. I remember to this day watching Video Killed the Radio Star and was forever sucked into music. I got to watch Headbangers Ball and Kurt Cobain coming on in a dress, Yo! MTV Raps and Straight Out of Compton being played. Now I get the Jersey Shore and other horrible shows. Don’t get me wrong, I do watch a few shows on there, but overall it is no longer Music Television.

After explaining what we were watching, I knew at that point Sloan would never actually know what a music video was. I had to make my first ever I am an old person talk with her, and tell her when I was a kid they actually had music videos on a music channel. To her is was a foreign thing, to me it made think of a time when a music channel actually pushed the envelope of not only music but pop culture. Now I get to watch an idiot that has dubbed himself the “Situation”. I guess the best thing out of the whole time was Sloan and I bonding not over music, but over Pearl Jam as well. Now I need to figure out a good concert to take her too.

Music for the week:
Well, I have to say I have hit the jackpot according to music for the past two weeks. I would love to break down each album, but it will be easier for me to give you the top five favorites so far for the week.

1. Ben Harper and Relentless 7 – Live from the Montreal International Jazz Festival
2. Portugal. The Man- American Ghetto
3. Band of Skulls-Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
4. Broken Bells- Broken Bells
5. Pavement-Quarantine The Past

0 comments:

 
Site Meter