BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Next Up………Portugal. The Man

Well, things have been getting busier and busier for me at work. Not to mention juggling my work schedule, Kristen’s work schedule, and having a second grader in Girl Scouts and Gymnastics. As you can tell we are very busy. The best thing that has come out of this is that Kristen and I are trying harder to set aside one night a week for us. It’s working so far, and hopefully we can expand that to two nights, but for now one is fitting perfect for us. I will take this schedule over the one we have had for about four years of getting Kristen through school, and both of us working. We actually sliding back into this family thing again and I think both of us are happy about that. I know enough of the family talk and get to telling us about music.

So next up on my Austin City Limits band tour 2010 is Portugal. The Man. Along for the ride this week are the Local Natives, Blind Pilot, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. So let me start off with Local Natives.

Local Natives are along the lines of Arcade Fire, Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, and a little Grizzly Bear. They are from Orange County, California; and have played here in Texas before at SXSW. Their first studio album Gorilla Manor, was a self funded indie album, and has got some great reviews along the way. They are playing at ACL on Saturday, and of course they are one of many bands I have sandwiched in to see during the weekend. Check out the single “Wide Eyes”.
Next up is a must see band from what I hear, it is Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. There are 10 members that are listed for this band, and I hear it seems like even more are on stage. Rolling Stone declared the group an artist to watch in 2009, calling them a cross between Arcade Fire and the Mamas & the Papas. They can summarize their effect the best: “Fans are known to be so overcome with emotion at their live shows that tears of euphoric joy are not uncommon.” If that is true, I can’t wait to experience this live. Check out the single “Home”, I just love this song.

Almost getting to the band of the day, but first I want to talk about Blind Pilot. If the few of you that read my blog remember, I talked about them about a year ago. Blind Pilot is a band from Portland, which has really become popular over the past year. They are a laid back folksy indie band, and not only do I get to see them at ACL, we are also going to see them in an aftershow at Stubb’s on Friday night. This should be a great night on Friday, with seeing The Black Keys, The Strokes, and Phish. Then an after show at the famous Stubb’s. Check out the song “Look at Miss Ohio”.

I took a chance on this last band and decided to give them a listen a few years ago and got hooked as soon as I listend to The Satanic Satanist. Portugal. The Man, surprisingly enough part hail from Alaska (yes, the same hometown that provides the setting for Sarah Palin’s Alaska…..yes something good from there) and the other half come out of Portland. They have an alterna-pop feel to their music, which what is starting to get them a following. So much so, they finally got signed to a major label. To add to the odd name and great odd album names, after releasing their first major label album “American Ghetto” they have decided to record their next album in of all places El Paso. Check out my favorite song of theirs “People Say”.

This week’s music:
Well, if feels good to get back to some writing, even though it’s breaking down some bands that some people won’t listen to that read this, however I like to get the word out about bands that are good and should be heard, with that said one of my favorite bands released their latest album this week. So here are four new albums to check out this week.

1. Interpol-Interpol : check out the song Summer Well
2. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros-Up From Below: Check out the song 40 Day Dream
3. Ra Ra Riot-The Orchard: check out the song Shadowcasting
4. First Aid Kit-The Big Black and The Blue: check out the song Sailor Song

0 comments:

 
Site Meter